Sunday 5 May 2013

Filthy Sunshine Days... 14 Weeks...

Before Steve and I were parents we had our list of "when we're parents we'll never..."-s.

At the top of the "we'll never" list was "we'll never stop our kids getting dirty". Never was probably a little too ambitious... I don't doubt I'll lead her away from muddy puddles before picture time at a wedding. However, largely, we're sticking to it. 

And it's become one of my favourite things about this Spring.

The sun is out and we're enjoying the open air... Gone are 2012's sunny days of her marooned on blankets under umbrellas. Now she's up and at it all. Mud, grass, dust and dirt. Scuffed on her knees. Soaked on her bum. Jammed under her fingernails. Smeared on her cheeks. Maybe even a little goes down as an al fresco snack...

I like it. It's up there with watching her eat a big home cooked dinner or seeing her bright eyed after a great nap for satisfying-this-is-good-for-my-baby-moments. We come in from the garden, park, beach etc, she's positively filthy and I think "we had a good day".

This is childhood. This is experiencing environment. How wonderful her reaction makes all these mundane things. It renews a lot in me and for me.

Meanwhile I'm becoming increasingly aware of who is along for the ride on our little sunny day outings... It who has come to be known affectionately as Trouble with all the sickness and worry he/she has brought. I'm eagerly awaiting first kicks. In the absence of a real bump I'm spending a lot of time pumping and rounding my belly out, stroking it. Looking forward to it being there permanently. Excited to really start feeling this little one. Like Euna feels the mud... It'll be new. It'll be a first. It's life and ooooh baby I'm excited to getting my hands on you... Even if just through a bump. For now.

Happy May Day Holidays!

Snack time... Oranges segments with a compost dip?
Ok... Raisins then... But on the floor...
Muddy bum...
 Funny girl...
 FILTHY.
 Mud and orange smooch Ma?
 14 weeks... Second trimester... 

2 comments:

  1. I love this, Charlie.

    Today we went to an English Heritage property and E climbed three flights of dusty steps. She was filthy. I hate to think what she ate. But I came home with that exact same feeling of what a good day it had been and I LOVE it.

    I cant wait for real mud pies! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you mind if I quote a few of your posts as
    long as I provide credit and sources back to your webpage? My website is in the very same niche as yours and my visitors would
    truly benefit from some of the information you provide here.

    Please let me know if this okay with you. Many thanks!


    My weblog :: metabolic rate calculator

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate, read and reply to all comments, I would LOVE to hear what you think today...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...